Title VI: Non-Discrimination
City of Mercer Island Policy Statement:
The City of Mercer Island assures that no person shall on the grounds of race, color, national origin, or sex, as provided by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, and the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 (P.L. 100.259) be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any of its federally funded programs and activities.
The City of Mercer Island further assures every effort will be made to ensure non-discrimination in all of its programs and activities, whether those programs and activities are federally funded or not.
In the event the City of Mercer Island distributes federal aid funds to a sub-recipient, the City of Mercer Island will include Title VI language in all written agreements and will monitor for compliance.
Any person who believes his/her Title VI protection has been violated, may file a complaint with the City of Mercer Island. For questions regarding City of Mercer Island Title VI Program, or to file a complaint with the City of Mercer Island, please contact Jason Kintner, Title VI Coordinator at 206-275-7802 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Title VI
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 states:
"No person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
The Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987, broadened the scope of Title VI coverage by expanding the definition of terms "programs or activities" to include all programs or activities of Federal Aid recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors/consultants, whether such programs and activities arc federally assisted or not (Public Law 100259 [8.557] March 22, 1988.)
How to File a complaint of Discrimination on the basis of Title VI against the City of Mercer Island, Washington
Who can file a Title VI complaint?
- Any person who believes that he or she, individually, as a member of any specific class, or in connection with any disadvantaged business enterprise, has been subjected to discrimination prohibited by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, and the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 (P.L. 100.259) under any of the City's federally funded programs and activities.
- Someone may file on behalf of such a person.
This information is available in alternate formats upon request. Please contact the City's Title VI Coordinator by email at email@example.com or by phone at (206) 275-7802. Persons with hearing impairments may access the Washington State Telecommunications Relay Service at 711.
How do I file a complaint?
- The complaint must be filed within 180 days of the date of the alleged discrimination.
- Complaints shall be in writing must contain a narrative description of the allegation(s) in sufficient detail to enable the Title VI Coordinator to understand what occurred, when it occurred, and the basis of the alleged discrimination complaint (e.g. race, color, national origin, etc.). The complaint must include all contact information for the complainant including name, address and telephone number; as well as all contact information for all witnesses or individuals with relevant knowledge.
- The complaint must be dated and signed by the complainant(s) or his/her/their representative.
Return the complaint to:
Jason Kintner, Title VI Coordinator
Public Works Department
Mercer Island City Hall
9611 SE 36th Street
Mercer Island, WA 98040 Phone: (206) 275-7802
Fax (206) 275-7814