Types of Permits
Over the Counter Plan Review - Building and Fire Permits
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, Community Planning and Development has modified its operations. For more information and updates, please visit the COVID-19 website.
City Hall and the Permit Center are closed to the public and Community Planning and Development staff are now telecommuting. There is no “walk in” permit service. We encourage permit customers to contact staff directly via their office number - phone lines are set up to forward calls to staff. Please contact us by phone or email for general customer support at 206-275-7626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over-the Counter Permit services have been suspended. At this time, simple residential Building Permits can be submitted electronically for expedited review. To submit your application follow the steps below. Labeling your project folder with the acronym "OTC" will help ensure expedited routing.
- MIePlan Preparation: Prepare your plans, permit forms, and supplemental information to allow for electronic plan review. The following forms are required:
- Application Packet
- Plan Coversheet
- Construction Documents- The minimum plan shet size is 11"x17" using a scale that is legible and easily reviewed.
- MIePlan Submittal: Submit your plans, foms and supplemental documents online at sftp.mercergov.org
- To log on:
- Username- guest
- Password- eplan
- Creating a Folder:
- Click on "Inbox"
- Create a new folder for your project.
- Name the folder with the following format: "PROJECT ADDRESS- OTC" (i.e. 9611 S E36th St- OTC).
- Open the folder you just created by clicking on it.
- Click "Upload files", then select your plan set, permit forms, and supplemental documents.
- If you need more detailed instructions on how to upload or create a folder use our submittal instructions.
Simple Residential Building Permits like Non-Structural Interior Remodels, Basic Decks and Minor Repairs are often eligible for over the counter plan review.
Required Forms and Documents:
For more information about Over the Counter Plan review view our Tip Sheet.
- Application Packet
- Plan Coversheet
- Construction Documents - Two hard copies of the plans must be provided. The minimum plan size is 11”x 17” using a scale that is legible and easily reviewed.
Residential Solar Installations. Proposed installations must comply with latest tip sheet guidelines. Click here to learn more about solar permits.
Residential Fire Alarms Permits are eligible for over the counter plan review.
Auto Security Gates. Permits for gates and barricades across fire access roads are typically eligible for over the counter plan review
Permits that Require Plan Review
Commercial and Multifamily Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, and Re-roof Permits typically require plan review. Submit applications, specs and plans electronically via the Mercer Island File Transfer Site for MIePlan Review. Minor work may be exempt from plan review with prior approval from the Inspector. The Customer Service Team is available to discuss your scope of work at 206-275-7605 or email@example.com if you have questions about requirements.
Commercial and Multi-Family Solar Installation are routed through a more detailed plan review process. Submittals require Design Review approval by our Land Use Planning Department, Electrical and Structural Plan Review, as well as review by the Fire Marshal’s Office. Submit Design Review, Building, Electrical, and Fire Permit applications electronically via the Mercer Island File Transfer Site for MIePlan Review.
Building Permits for New Construction, Additions, Structural Alterations, Tenant Improvements, etc require plan review. Submit all plans, forms and documents electronically via the Mercer Island File Transfer Site for MIePlan Review.
Permits that Do Not Require Plan Review
Single Family Residential Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing Permits can be obtained online at www.mybuildingpermit.com or at the Community Planning & Development (CPD) permit counter.
Single Family Residential Re-roof Permits can be obtained online at www.mybuildingpermit.com or in person at the Community Planning & Development (CPD) permit counter. A permit is required if roofing material in changing and/or if plywood is replaced.
Side Sewer Permits are issued at the Community Planning & Development (CPD) permit counter.