Codes, Design Criteria & Research
*The 2015 Construction Codes were adopted by the City in July, 2016. Click here for a list of significant changes to the current Codes*
Construction Codes: The following is a list of the various construction codes which have been adopted and amended by the State of Washington and the City of Mercer Island:
- 2012 International Building Code with statewide and City amendments
- ICC/ANSI A117.1-09, Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities, with statewide and City amendments 2012 International Residential Code with statewide and City amendments
- 2012 International Mechanical Code with statewide and City amendments
- 2011 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code (NFPA 58)
- 2012 National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54) for LP gas
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code with statewide and City amendments
- 2012 International Fire Code with statewide and City amendments
- Washington State Energy Code
- Washington Cities Electrical Code
Washington State Amendments to the Construction Codes
City Amendments to the Construction Codes (Click here): This link is to the Construction Code Amendments within Mercer Island Municipal Code which include amendments such as:
- When fire sprinklers are required (for larger buildings, for poor water supply, for poor fire access roads, etc)
- Administrative provisions (when permits are required, permit expiration and renewal, etc)
- Electrical code amendments
- Waterfront Structures
- When special inspections are required (exterior insulation finish systems, etc)
- Adopted appendices (pool and spas, fire access roads, etc)
Design Criteria: Information regarding minimum design criteria for Snow Loads, Wind & Seismic forces, Climatic and Geographic, etc.
Wind speed-up (Kzt) and Exposure Map:City map depicting Wind Exposure Classification and Minimum Kzt factors that will not require the submittal of justifying engineering calculations.
Geologic Hazard Area Maps and Regulations: Development within Geologic Hazard Areas requires supporting Geotechnical Reports.
- NW Maps: Aerial photos, zoning, King County assessment, lot and building information, demographics, housing, topography, etc.
- NWProperty.net: Information source for commercial property for sale or lease.
- GeoMapNW: Past Geotechnical Reports / Explorations
Helpful information about state regulations that may apply to your project:
Helpful information about City regulations that may apply to your project:
The above document(s) are Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files and may be viewed using the free Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™. Most newer web browsers already contain the Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™ plug-in. However, if you need it, click on the "Get Acrobat® Reader™" icon to download it now.