I-90 Bridge Will Not Close for 2019 Seafair Air Show
July 8, 2019 - In a revision to many years of past practice, the Washington State Department of Transportation has announced that it will NOT close the Interstate 90 floating bridge for any part of the annual Seafair Airshow, slated for August 1-4, 2019. This new protocol will be accomplished by moving the airspace used by the US Navy's Blue Angels jets further south. The old flight path triggered closures mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration for public safety and to minimize driver distractions. This year’s new flight path eliminates the need for a closure.
Even with normal operations on I-90 this year, there may be unexpected slowdowns across the bridge so drivers should be cautious. The Washington State Patrol will be conducting speed and distracted driving enforcement and reminds all drivers that it is illegal to park a vehicle in a lane or on the shoulder unless for an emergency.
Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to access the bridge’s pathway for the duration of the flights, but it cannot be used for stopping and viewing the Blue Angels airshow overhead.
The schedule for the 2019 Seafair Airshow is as follows:
Mercer Island Ramp closures:
- Thursday, Aug. 1: 11:00am-1:00pm; 2:30pm-3:30pm (Practice Day)
- Friday, Aug. 2: 3:00-4:00pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Saturday, Aug. 3: 3:00-4:00pm (Seafair Air Show)
- Sunday, Aug. 4: 3:00-4:00pm (Seafair Air Show)
- There will be no Mercer Island ramp closures related to Seafair.
- The SR 520 floating bridge will remain open to traffic as usual and tolls will be collected according to the rate schedule.