City Council Vacancy - Applications Available
Oct 8, 2018 - Mayor Debbie Bertlin announced that application forms are available for citizens interested in filling vacant Position #4 on the Mercer Island City Council.
In filling this vacancy, City Council is looking for an individual willing to commit a minimum of 18 to 20 hours per month for preparation, participation, and attendance at various meetings and community activities. Beyond the broad duties previously mentioned, Councilmember duties include, but are not limited to:
The seven-member City Council is the legislative authority of the City of Mercer Island. The City operates under a Council-Manager form of government and appoints a City Manager to manage and administer operations. The Council is responsible for setting policy, adopting the annual budget, adopting laws, setting priorities, and appointing citizens to its advisory boards and commissions.
- Attendance at regular City Council meetings on the first and third Tuesday evening of each month, annual Planning Session, and Mini-Planning Session;
- Serving on Council committees, regional boards, City’s advisory boards and commissions, and to represent the City Council at various community functions; and,
- Some travel is expected locally, regionally, and/or within the state of Washington.
The applicant appointed to Position #4 will serve until the certification of the November 2019 general election, when the candidate elected for position #4 will take office. RCW 42.12.070(6).
To be eligible for appointment, applicants must:
Click here to download the application form. Applications may also be obtained by calling City Clerk Deb Estrada at (206) 275-7793 or in person at Mercer Island City Hall, 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island.
- Reside within the Mercer Island city limits for a minimum of one year prior to appointment to the Council; and
- Be registered to vote in the City of Mercer Island.
To be considered, your application must be completed and received by the City Clerk at Mercer Island City Hall (9611 SE 36th Street) no later than 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 21, 2018. Applications received after 5:00 pm will not be accepted.