Fireworks Safety 2018
July 2, 2018 - As the Fourth of July approaches, the City of Mercer Island wishes everyone a happy and safe Independence Day; City facilities will be closed Wednesday, July 4.
Everyone is invited to attend the City's big fireworks show at Summer Celebration on Saturday, July 14, at 10:15pm, in Luther Burbank Park.
Residents who do wish to use personal fireworks should know these important guidelines from the MI Fire and Police Departments to keep you, your family, and your friends safe...
Visit the City's website for full information about fireworks safety and Mercer Island regulations.
- Only purchase fireworks from LEGAL consumer firework establishments.
- Fireworks may be purchased on Mercer Island only between the dates of June 28 and July 4 (MICC 8.35).
- The discharge of legal fireworks on Mercer Island is allowed on ONLY ONE DAY: July 4, from 11am to 11pm (MICC 8.35).
- Fireworks are PROHIBITED in public parks except as part of a duly authorized public firework display (MICC 9.30.070).
- Fireworks are NOT ALLOWED on school property or at school sponsored events (MISD Policy #5114).
- Visually inspect every firework you possess. Make sure fireworks look "safe and sane" to use. If fireworks look altered/illegal/unsafe, call 9-1-1 and have the Fire Department or Police Department inspect your fireworks.
- Be responsible: you must clean up all debris when finished.